Current:Home > ScamsContract security officers leave jail in Atlanta after nonpayment of contract -Capitatum
Contract security officers leave jail in Atlanta after nonpayment of contract
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 05:45:39
ATLANTA (AP) — Some security officers at a jail in Atlanta that is under federal investigation walked off the job after the Fulton County sheriff’s office failed to pay money owed to the third-party contractor that employs them, the sheriff’s office said.
The Fulton County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release that it is facing “a significant budget crisis” and owed an outstanding balance of more than $1 million to Strategic Security Corp. The company notified its employees Thursday afternoon that the contract had ended, that they would be clocked out at 2:15 p.m. and that they should not report to work at the jail going forward.
The sheriff’s office said that “created an immediate safety issue” at the county’s main jail and employees from all divisions were sent to staff the jail.
Sheriff Pat Labat said that nearly 50 of the contract security officers came to the jail Thursday evening and were given conditional offers of employment and some were able to work immediately after completing paperwork. The sheriff’s office did not immediately respond Friday to an email asking how many security officers were working at the jail under the contract.
The U.S. Department of Justice last year opened a civil rights investigation into jail conditions in the county, citing violence and filthy conditions. Federal authorities specifically mentioned the September 2022 death of Lashawn Thompson, one of more than a dozen people who has died in county custody over the last two years. Thompson, 35, died in a bedbug-infested cell in the jail’s psychiatric wing.
A state legislative committee formed last year to examine conditions at the jail concluded last week that more cooperation was needed between top county officials.
Labat has long acknowledged the problems and has called for a new $1.7 billion jail to replace the crumbling main jail on Rice Street. But county commissioners in July voted 4-3 instead for a $300 million project to renovate the existing jail and to build a new building to house inmates with special needs.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Evacuation orders are in place in central Greece as a river bursts its banks and floodwaters rise
- Turkish cave rescue underway: International teams prep to pull American from Morca sinkhole
- Georgia special grand jury report shows Graham and others spared from charges, and more new details
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Philadelphia officer who shot man in his car surrenders to police
- Rail operator fined 6.7 million pounds in Scottish train crash that killed 3
- Police chief put on paid leave after allegedly body-slamming a student
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Heat hits New England, leading to school closures, early dismissals
Ranking
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Rail operator fined 6.7 million pounds in Scottish train crash that killed 3
- Maria Sharapova’s Guide to the US Open: Tips To Beat the Heat and Ace the Day
- Florida Supreme Court begins hearing abortion-ban case, could limit access in Southeast
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Why beautiful sadness — in music, in art — evokes a special pleasure
- New murder charges brought against the man accused of killing UVA football players
- Parenting advice YouTuber Ruby Franke and business partner due in court on child abuse charges
Recommendation
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
'One Piece' on Netflix: What's next for popular pirate show? What we know about Season 2.
Horrified judge sends Indianapolis cop to prison for stomping defenseless man's face
Marc Bohan, former Dior creative director and friend to the stars, dies at age 97
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Eagles pay tribute to Jimmy Buffett at final tour kickoff: 'Sailing on that cosmic ocean'
Prospects for more legalized gambling in North Carolina uncertain
This $22 Longline Sports Bra Doubles as a Workout Top and It Has 20,300+ 5-Star Reviews